Welcome to Kew House School's "Frequently Asked Questions" page. Please find below some of the more regular questions we receive.

If you have a question which is not answered on our website, please contact our Admissions Team by email at [email protected] or by phone on 020 8742 2038 (option 3). 

How much is your Registration Fee?

A registration fee of £150 is payable, which is non-returnable. A registration fee does not guarantee your child a place at Kew House School but all students will be invited for interview.

How much is your school’s deposit and when is this returned to us?

A deposit of £3,000 is payable on acceptance. This deposit payment is retained until the student comes to the end of their school journey, (e.g. at the end of Y13 or if they leave the school at an earlier stage). The deposit is thereafter returnable provided we are given a full term’s notice. If you do not take up your place following your acceptance, the deposit is not refundable. This deposit is required from all applicants including KGPS and RPPS (our Preparatory schools) students.

How much are the Fees and how does payment work?
  • Fees are payable termly in advance, or monthly by direct debit. There are 3 terms per year; Autumn, Spring & Summer.
  • The Directors reserve the right to review or alter fees at a term’s notice.
  • The current academic years fee can be found here: Fees
  • Parents may settle fees in one of two ways: fee payment options. If you wish to take advantage of our instalment payment option please complete the direct debit mandate and return to the Bursar. Please contact the Bursar, Louise Doughty via email or on 020 3249 7744 for further details.
  • Please be advised that late payment will incur charges
Are there any discounts for siblings?

We do not offer any sibling discounts on fees.

What other costs do we need to be aware of?

Educational visits are additional to any school fees, unless it is a free event. Where students are involved in a school trip involving additional costs such as out of area transport etc, the cost for the activity or admission will be outlined to parents in advance in order that a decision can be made by the parent whether or not they wish their child to participate. 

Does the school provide insurance policies?

Like all Independent schools, Kew House School has comprehensive operational insurance. Parents are asked to ensure that valuables such as musical instruments are included in their household policy.  Parents wishing to take out additional personal accident insurance or school fees insurance are advised to make their own arrangements.

What should my child prepare for their interview?

At the interview, we ask candidates to prepare a short presentation. This should be three minutes in length, and pupils may present on any topic of their choice. This could be a hobby, an interest, a recent achievement, or anything that they are passionate about. Pupils are encouraged to bring in something visual along with them; this could be any object or artefact, images printed out, drawings or paintings, a musical instrument, or similar. 

What should my child wear for their interview?

Although wearing school uniform is not compulsory, we do expect candidates to be dressed smartly for their interview. 

Can my child bring in a packed lunch?

We do not allow packed lunches to be brought into school. We provide a nutritional and healthy two course lunch during the school day (cooked in house) which includes a hot meal with the option to eat from our fantastic salad bar. Fruit and yogurts are also on offer. Vegetarian options are also available and special dietary requirements can be arranged.

Communal lunch is a key element of the school day and the school does not provide facilities for packed lunches. We are a NUT FREE school. Lunch costs are outlined on the fees page.

Apart from purchasing school uniform, what else do I need to provide my child with before starting school?

Students will need a comfortable school backpack of their choice to fit an A4 lever arch file in (the school will provide all standard files and exercise books) and a pencil case with basic stationery to use. A sports bag of their choice will also be required to carry their PE kit in. For Rowing, students should bring in wellington boots.

Do you provide music instrumental tuition?

Kew House School provides superb music spaces for instrumental tuition on a range of musical instruments during the school day and after school. Tuition is delivered by freelance instrumental tutors approved by the school and costs per lesson vary dependent on whether lessons are group or individual and on the instrument involved. Instrumental tutors will invoice parents direct for the costs of such tuition. Students not having tuition have a range of fantastic music clubs to choose from such as Jazz Club, Choir ensembles and Rock Band Club, which are usually included in the core fees.

Outside of school lessons, what time can students come in to school and leave at the end of the day?

Students can arrive from at 7.30am and buy breakfast, attend an early club or relax before lessons begin at 8.30am.  After school, students finish their main lessons at 4.00pm and have the choice to go home, attend an after school club, use the library or drop in to homework club (Monday to Thursdays) up until 6.00pm.

How much notice do I have to give if my child leaves?

A full term’s notice is required (by the final teaching day of your child’s penultimate term at the school), in writing to the Headmaster and Registrar, for the withdrawal of a student or a term’s fee will be charged in lieu of notice.  If a term’s notice is not given, the deposit will not be returned.

What is the ISEB Common Pre-Test and how can my child prepare for it?

The ISEB Common Pre-Test is a computer-based test comprising of four sections: English, Mathematics, Verbal Reasoning, and Non-Verbal Reasoning. Questions are in multiple-choice format. In total, all four tests take approximately two and a half hours to complete, and the individual sections can be completed either together or separately. Pupils may only take each test once. If multiple tests are taken, the first test result will stand. More detailed information can be found on the ISEB website.

Our family live abroad – can my child still take the ISEB Common Pre-Test?

The ISEB Common Pre-Test is normally taken at the child’s current junior school but may also be taken at another senior school or at Kew House School. If a child is overseas, then the tests can be taken locally.

Related Stories